My Photo
Name:
Location: California

I love paper. Books printed on acid-free paper and bound in cloth turn me on. I'm crazy about bookmarks, and I buy too many stickers. I could spend hours in the build-your-own-greeting card section of my neighborhood craft store. My favorite thing to eat is bread, and my second favorite is fruit. (Mm, pineapple.) I read too much and too fast, and I watch too many food shows (two ways of looking at gluttony). Gloomy, rainy weather calms me and so I can't wait to move out of California, which will happen, sadly, too many years from now to count. I'm vegan, though I haven't managed to eliminate honey from my diet yet. I practice yoga; it's the only way I can keep fit. I have a better life than I ever imagined I would (or deserve to) have, but I do my best to enjoy it rather than feel guilty about it. That's my daily struggle -- and also to be thoughtful and observant and honest with myself.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

A Poem

This one is my own.

Night Out

He's waiting at home this evening with an argument
on the table between his forearms like a plate
between a knife and a fork. She thinks of not going back,
of driving to the nearest Best Western, checking in and
ordering room service, staring out the window as she eats
at the orange sky with obliterated constellations, relieved
that she won't have to wash the dishes, read bedtime stories,
not wrestle over the meaning of picturing herself making love
to another man -- while he rattles on about mortgage payments,
the broken garbage disposal and the cell phone bill.
Just a good night's sleep, someone else for a change to clean
the bathroom, empty the trash, someone else's voice to wake her up
in the morning. Cut off for one night from the life she's built for herself,
brick upon Victorian brick, massive, sturdy, beautiful, but without windows.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebel Girl said...

I like the argument on the table line, the one with the forearms.

December 22, 2005  
Blogger Michelle said...

I like the argument on the table line as well but think the "brick by Victorian brick" is even better.

December 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home