My Photo
Name:
Location: California

I love paper. Books printed on acid-free paper and bound in cloth turn me on. I'm crazy about bookmarks, and I buy too many stickers. I could spend hours in the build-your-own-greeting card section of my neighborhood craft store. My favorite thing to eat is bread, and my second favorite is fruit. (Mm, pineapple.) I read too much and too fast, and I watch too many food shows (two ways of looking at gluttony). Gloomy, rainy weather calms me and so I can't wait to move out of California, which will happen, sadly, too many years from now to count. I'm vegan, though I haven't managed to eliminate honey from my diet yet. I practice yoga; it's the only way I can keep fit. I have a better life than I ever imagined I would (or deserve to) have, but I do my best to enjoy it rather than feel guilty about it. That's my daily struggle -- and also to be thoughtful and observant and honest with myself.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Self Portrait Tuesday

I want to stop taking this step and that step. I want to stop moving -- towards success or failure, happiness or sorrow. No more hurry. No more impatience with what hasn't yet come to be, no more guilt about what has been.


Just stillness. The feel of the ground under my feet. Cold earth, warm earth. A breath that goes all the way down to my toes. I want to feel what it's like to live as if there were no time. As if this moment were everything, full and perfect, as inconceivably small and inconceivably large as the universe before time began.

3 Comments:

Blogger Diz Rivera said...

Love the images.
They go perfectly with the words.

March 22, 2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

I like the images as well and the ideas behind them.

March 22, 2006  
Blogger Green Whale said...

Thanks for your comments.

I scavenge what I can from various schools of religious thought, in this case Buddhist, I admit. So the label fits (even if I'm uncomfortable with it).

March 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home