My Photo
Name:
Location: California

I love paper. Books printed on acid-free paper and bound in cloth turn me on. I'm crazy about bookmarks, and I buy too many stickers. I could spend hours in the build-your-own-greeting card section of my neighborhood craft store. My favorite thing to eat is bread, and my second favorite is fruit. (Mm, pineapple.) I read too much and too fast, and I watch too many food shows (two ways of looking at gluttony). Gloomy, rainy weather calms me and so I can't wait to move out of California, which will happen, sadly, too many years from now to count. I'm vegan, though I haven't managed to eliminate honey from my diet yet. I practice yoga; it's the only way I can keep fit. I have a better life than I ever imagined I would (or deserve to) have, but I do my best to enjoy it rather than feel guilty about it. That's my daily struggle -- and also to be thoughtful and observant and honest with myself.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Self Portrait Tuesday

FEET IN THE CLOUDS



After three years of practicing yoga, headstands still scare me. There's a completely different sense of balance to get used to when you're upside down. And there are so many ways to fall. (Not all painful, as I've found out. Sometimes you just collapse gently, fold into yourself and towards the ground. I wouldn't have believed it possible if I hadn't experienced it.) But every once in a while your bones align and your muscles know what they have to do without the brain having to yell it at them, and for a fraction of a second standing on your head feels as stable and as natural as standing on your feet. I've felt that, maybe, once. And it wasn't in the photograph above. I never did a headstand outdoors before this, and the ground and the air and Husband's face very close to mine as he was trying to take the picture all distracted me. But I didn't fall!

2 Comments:

Blogger Diz Rivera said...

WOW - beautiful photo. For a moment I thought you had taken the photo yourself, and that just seemed like some upper-level yoga stuff. A headstand with no hands would be impressive!

April 11, 2006  
Blogger Green Whale said...

I wish I could take pictures of some people in my yoga class -- then you'd see some impressive stuff! And the true miracle is that they make very hard poses seem so effortless and graceful that I'm ready to weep with frustration and envy and the beauty of it all.

April 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home