My Photo
Name:
Location: California

I love paper. Books printed on acid-free paper and bound in cloth turn me on. I'm crazy about bookmarks, and I buy too many stickers. I could spend hours in the build-your-own-greeting card section of my neighborhood craft store. My favorite thing to eat is bread, and my second favorite is fruit. (Mm, pineapple.) I read too much and too fast, and I watch too many food shows (two ways of looking at gluttony). Gloomy, rainy weather calms me and so I can't wait to move out of California, which will happen, sadly, too many years from now to count. I'm vegan, though I haven't managed to eliminate honey from my diet yet. I practice yoga; it's the only way I can keep fit. I have a better life than I ever imagined I would (or deserve to) have, but I do my best to enjoy it rather than feel guilty about it. That's my daily struggle -- and also to be thoughtful and observant and honest with myself.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Beauty & the Beast



These tiny purple star-like flowers grow in a cascade in my parents' back yard and stream between the bars of the back yard fence. This image struck me because it's such an accurate reflection of my relationship with my parents: beautiful but divided always by these black bars of things that we cannot say to one another. Sometimes I wish these obstacles were cleared. And sometimes I wonder if the fact that they are there isn't a good thing, because they have pushed me to build a life of my own, separated me from them enough so that I could become my own person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home