My Photo
Name:
Location: California

I love paper. Books printed on acid-free paper and bound in cloth turn me on. I'm crazy about bookmarks, and I buy too many stickers. I could spend hours in the build-your-own-greeting card section of my neighborhood craft store. My favorite thing to eat is bread, and my second favorite is fruit. (Mm, pineapple.) I read too much and too fast, and I watch too many food shows (two ways of looking at gluttony). Gloomy, rainy weather calms me and so I can't wait to move out of California, which will happen, sadly, too many years from now to count. I'm vegan, though I haven't managed to eliminate honey from my diet yet. I practice yoga; it's the only way I can keep fit. I have a better life than I ever imagined I would (or deserve to) have, but I do my best to enjoy it rather than feel guilty about it. That's my daily struggle -- and also to be thoughtful and observant and honest with myself.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Self Portrait Tuesday



I struggled with this last self-portrait; I thought, how many more ways are there to introduce oneself? And it occurred to me that my struggle had nothing to do with "how many"; the problem is more fundamental, and that is that I hate introducing myself. I hate saying look at me, listen to me, I have something to say. My instinct when I'm with other people is to hide. I hide behind words; I chatter. I feel as vulnerable if I am silent as if I were naked in a crowd. I'm going to take a risk today and not explain the photograph I have taken. That's the way I will introduce myself in an honest way: by staying quiet and letting the image speak or not speak for itself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Diz Rivera said...

C, the photo is pretty amazing because the way your chin and head are cocked come across as very confident. Maybe subconsciously you are way more than you consciously give yourself credit for. Either way, brilliant to let the photo speak for itself because it reveals hidden characteristics.

May 31, 2006  
Blogger Green Whale said...

Your observation about the position of my head is very intriguing. If what you say about my subconscious is true, then this is the beginning of a very beatiful friendship between me and my subconscious!

May 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home